Air ducts need to be cleaned once every three to five years on average. This is instructed by the National Air Duct Cleaners Association. However, there are quite a lot of factors such as the location of your home, presence of pets as well as how often you change your air filter – these are just a few ones right off the tip of the toe, which is going to have an impact on the aforementioned statement. These can cause you to clean the ducts a lot more often or a lot less often, accordingly. Of course, it is important to be aware of some of the things to look out for in order to be aware of whether or not you need to clean your ducts. Some of the telltale signs include:
• Is the air return vent jammed?
• Is there a clattering noise coming out from the airflow which is not your blower motor?
• Can you find rodents or insects in the ductwork?
• Is there less airflow in some vents in comparison to others?
• Are you registers seriously carrying dust?
These are just a few ones to name – there are a lot more. However, if you manage to answer positively to any of the aforementioned questions, it is high time that you call the professionals and get your ducts cleaned out effectively.
How can you prolong the duct cleaning interval?
There are quite a few things, however, that you can take advantage of, in order to ensure that everything is handled as per the highest standards. This is also going to ensure that there is a longer period of time in between the different cleaning periods. Some of these tips include but are not limited to:
• Regular dusting and vacuum cleaning of your entire home
• Inspecting the air filters as regularly as you can and changing them or cleaning them when this is required.
• Sealing the see pages which are going to allow the dust to move within your attic
• Fixing any poorly functioning insulation
One of the best things that you can do is to call the professionals and take proactive measures towards enhancing your entire HVAC system. They are going to conduct an extensive and comprehensive inspection which is going to find a lot of different issues that you might have to fix. This is going to provide you with properly functioning system and one which is not going to require common and bothersome cleaning of the air ducts.
However, if the time has already come, it is important that you call the professionals as this is not a task that a sole homeowner can handle on his own without the necessary knowledge and experience. It is important that you discuss the whole issue with the HVAC contractor so that they can take care of it accordingly.